Wednesday, January 15, 2014

College Essay

The smell of fresh cut grass, the sight of dirt gently swirling in rays of sun, rap music blasting out the trunk of my car, I am back in the dirt parking lot over looking my football field. With kids giggling on the playground, young boys playing baseball on the diamond in the back, and young men bashing heads on the field, it shows my past all in one serene landscape. Although the season isn't currently over I can still feel the pain of not coming back next year for two a days in the blistering heat of the summer, and practices that go on until itis almost snowing and pitch black out in the winter. This is the place where nothing else matters, it makes me live in the moment, leaving the past behind me and the future ahead of me.

When playing football I can put everything aside, I am completely focused on the here and now. On a football field you live a life time, you go through ups and downs, happiness, sadness, and most importantly the feeling of family. The reason I am perfectly content in this field is because I have known no where else, where I have felt so close to my friends to be able to call them my brothers, it is where we have cried, laughed, bled and fought together. There is no other spot I would rather play or hang out, it is a place I can call home. For the the past eleven years it has been a center in my life, an anchor, I always know that I can go back and reminisce.

Throughout my high school career I have gone through some major changes, I have gotten and lost jobs, I have gained a license and vehicle, relationships with teachers and friends have gone down and up, it has as expected been a crazy high school experience. Though the one thing that stays constant is the field, through out my child hood and high school  have gone to the same field every year for eleven years. It has been a center, having the same great feeling of stepping on to it the first time after a long winter, the feeling of coming back to a familiar place, it is a feeling you will seldom feel, and never replace. I'm glad that I can always conjure up that feeling, or revisit the place which brings back such fond memories.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice well written piece, I like how you describe things and give reader images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you paint a picture with strong words and how you make me feel like I'm there at that field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good use of vivid and descriptive language, really brings the reader into the setting you're describing. ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your college essay because everything you described in this I can relate to on the baseball field which I wrote about in my college essay. Overall it was a very well written essay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hooked while reading this. The way you described the football field saying how it's your home with your brothers was powerful. I know you guys very well and it's so true. You live and breathe football and the worlds you picked in the essay really makes someone who doesn't know you see how passionate you really are. I thought this was very well written man, and I hope you get accepted into all the schools you apply to buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben this is a truly powerful piece and is very impressively written. You take the reader into your head and by doing that the reader can really feel and understand everything you're going through. Your word choice is also extraordinary and helps to paint a very vivid picture.

    ReplyDelete