Friday, January 17, 2014

Blog Reflection

​The first piece in my portfolio is a personality profile on an engineer. I included this piece on my blog because I feel that it is one of my more completed pieces, the length and writing style is more thought out then some of the other of my assignment. To do this personality profile I had to find an engineer to interview and then set up a time and place. After the interview everything goes a lot quicker, when I had all the information I needed I sat down and began writing the piece. I believed that this piece was strong because of descriptive sentences with good tone an example is “ All in all Chris leads a busy life, but not all of it is focused on his career, he likes to focus on what matters in life, friends, family, and sports.”  A weakness of the piece could be length but also scattered plot, I was all over the place writing the piece because it was my first profile. The second piece I put in my blog was my college essay, I wrote this piece and published it to my blog because it is one piece I tried on, and cared about. The process for writing a college essay is to choose one of the designated options given by colleges and then answer the statement or question they choose for you. The option I chose was to write about a place I feel perfectly content at. It is a very strong essay because of my voice and description of the place that I write about. A weakness is that I couldn’t find a fitting ending to it, so it is left open ended which I hope I can change. In the beginning of the year we had to write a short paragraph on our previous writing history and the goals we hope to accomplish in this class. One of my goal for this class was that I hoped to develop the fluidity of my writing with a nice style, so it wasn’t choppy and dull. I haven’t been able to work on this yet because we haven’t had creative style writing yet, we’ve only had personality profiles and essays on a subject, the only real chance were one or two short stories we did in class. A weakness of writing for me was actually being able to sit-down and crank out decent lengths of writing in a proficient way. I seem to be slowly improving in this category throughout the year, and hopefully turn it into a skill. This first semester of journalism has been interesting and I hope that the next semester will be unique too.

4 comments:

  1. I like your goal to write with more fluidity. I think this can be a difficult skill to master and I admire your level of awareness of your writing and where you can improve. I hope this is something we can work on next semester. I also wonder about the second weakness your mentioned (being able to sit down and crank out decent lengths of writing). Do you think you have improved in this area, and if so, how did you do it? Also, do you still want to be an English teacher? Just curious :) Good work this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this piece because it shows you are genuinely trying to improve your writing and I think it shows in your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you described your weakness and strength, and how your trying to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think just from reading this Ben that you have improved as a writer. This letter was engaging and informative and it helped me to know how the semester went for you

    ReplyDelete