Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Rap Battle for the Ages

Recently at the Grammy awards Macklemore a prominent white hip hop/pop artist beat out Kendrick Lamar, Jay-z and other black rap artists for best rap album of the year. This sparked some controversy in whether whites can become equal in the rap game or is it tied in too tightly with black culture.


Should Macklemore be apologizing? Is his apology sincere? Is it appropriate?

I believe Macklemore should be apologizing to Kendrick and just Kendrick because he should have clearly won the Grammy. I do believe the apology was sincere though except for when Macklemore posted it on Instagram that where it became in appropriate.

Can rap music ever transcend race and class? Or is it too indelibly tied to black urban culture?

I believe that rap music can't rise above race and class although white artist can create a new sound like some have before Eminem and Mac Miller are examples of two prominent white artists but they should fall under the Hip hop category and not into rap. I believe Macklemore should be in the hip hop or pop category as well. As for rap transcending race and class I doubt it ever I will because of the meaning behind rap, it was used as a tool in hard times, to fight against racism, poverty, and many other hardships that black Americans had to face. It is fort hat reason that I believe rap will forever be a black music type because of the history they've with it.

6 comments:

  1. I like what you had to say and I agree with you. I haven't heard any of Kendrick Lamar's music, and I'm sure it's great. Nicely written Ben, I love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say that rap is for blacks, so what will you do for a career now since you can't be a rapper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that once he posted the text on Instagram it kind of lost it's sincerity, but I think that he did it to show everyone that he doesn't think that his is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely agree with the Instagram post being way too much because then it looks like he's not sincere at all. Also I like you're fiery passion for the rap game of hip hop, I look forward to you making a name for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about posting the text on Instagram, that is appropriate. You really spoke you mind in this post Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, posting it on Instagram was over the top and stupid, he should have just been humble.

    ReplyDelete